Wednesday 12 August 2015

#462 ~ Merely a Mister

Merely A Mister (Regency Trilogy, #3)

Merely A Mister by Sherry Lynn Ferguson


My rating: 4 of 5 stars








#Book 3 in Regency Trilogy



Finally, my wait and see attitude to this author has proved vindicated.

Yes, there is no doubt that her writing style still remains changeable within a work, but there were only a couple of times in this current read.

I was, additionally, delighted that she ramped up the content. I really loved the progress of true love with Myles and Anne, and it was a very pretty scene at the end between the two ... it brought a tear to my eye (and I am a fairly hardened reader!).

On my blog under 'The good, the bad an the ugly' I have done into a little more detail about things that annoy me about her style, if anybody is interested.

Other than that, I still believe that she does hold promise of a higher rating. What I require from her are more baddies, twists and turns and conflict. Not everybody is capable, but I strongly feel she really is. O look forward to furthering our writer/reader relationship in the future - I would love to say great things of her.

For now, a very solid 4 star rating.



The good, the bad and the ugly


For those who are perhaps of the English persuasion, it might be difficult to comprehend what I mean by style with regard to this author's writing.

She does really well to stick to an authentic historical language, without tending towards the Ye Olde Worlde, but dips in and out of it at times with Americanism.

I don't tend to cite many examples of this, but as examples here a couple:

Query:

"Anne dear, you do look tired," Vera said in the light of the entry" (Ferguson, SL Location 1091).

Reasoning behind my query:

I would strongly argue that 'entry' is not really appropriately used here, and feel that it would be more commonly used in the North American language, rather than Regency England.  It would have been better to express this as hallway rather than entry.  

It may feel a really small criticism, but it can - and certainly does in my case - grate against the nerves.  Easily solved by solid and authentic research.  Given this might prove problematic, but there are always other to discuss this with by email.

Query:

"Mr Myles stood outside by the tiny front gate, just steps from the stoop."


Reasoning behind my query:

'Stoop' is another North American term, it is a 'door step' her in England.

These examples (and many others throughout the book) may feel a really small criticism, but it can - and certainly does in my case - grate against the nerves, and spoils anything with promise.

They are easily solved by solid and authentic research.  Given this might prove problematic, but there are always other to discuss this with by email.

Bibliography

Fergusion, SL 'Merely a Mister' October 2013 Montlake Romanc, Country of publication Unknown

Kindle Unlimited HERE.


Happy reading.

Hugs

Kay xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment