Friday 7 August 2015

#459 ~ Lord Sidley's Last Season


Lord Sidley's Last SeasonLord Sidley's Last Season by Sherry Lynn Ferguson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars












This was a reasonable attempt at fairly accurate historical writing, a la Georgette Heyer, but failed somewhat in its attempt; a bit like the Curate's egg, it was good and bad in places. I hasten to add not all the time, it seemed to go in fits and starts, especially it seems around 80 to 90% when the pleasing set of the language took a nose dive. After that, it seemed to go up a notch or two. However, the ending was going along fairly well, but then just seemed to finish, and then was rushed right at the very, very end.

I therefore deducted 1 star for the erratic behaviour. I was delighted to find that 'gotten' did not appear to the best of my knowledge, and therefore no stars lost for that. Additionally, there was a matter of the 'House Guard' which felt a little uncomfortably expressed (more details on my blog) which coloured my view of the overall rating.

I have downloaded some of the author's other titles to see how they measure up, and for this title I have awarded 3 stars; give it a go and see how you get on with it.

The good, the bag and the ugly:


Loc  1535:  I am by no means an expert, but I do have a little knowledge of the Household Division, and was not really sure about the expression  'House Guard' at this location.  I would be fascinated to find out if I am wrong about it being incorrect to express it thus.  Even better, I would delighted to be proved wrong.  I haven't the time to do the research now, but if anybody can put me right on this please get in touch.

Happy reading.

Hugs

Kay
xoxox







No comments:

Post a Comment