Saturday 1 August 2015

#456 - The Turn of the Screw

The Turn of the Screw

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

My rating: 

4 of 5 stars













Recently in my Uni group there was a discussion about whether some books have narration that specifically sets out to deceive the reader. This book was one on a list of 5 that it was felt did just that.

I had never read it before, but was aware of an Opera based on the book, which although I had not seen I had heard discussed.

Although I was aware that the narrator may try to deceive me, I was a little dubious that I would, indeed even notice that that was what was happening.

The book is skilfully written, and at the finish I did indeed have the strong feeling that the narrator did not only seek to deceive, but probably was fully aware of much, much more of the circumstances, and deliberately set out to side-track, divert and subvert my understanding of the whole, and there fore certainly stands up to its reputation.

Happy reading.

Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment